Bronze Age Beginnings

Monday, 4 April 2011

Bronze Age Marvel covers: Tomb of Dracula #1

I'm going to be reviewing this one in the near future, but I thought I'd say a few words about this Neal Adams' cover now; and those few words are - Adams can't draw Dracula! Everything else works but Dracula himself looks wrong, like he'd been lifted from elsewhere and dropped in.

What really makes this a great cover, though, is the excellent logo; definitely one of the best during the Bronze Age.

I never read any of the US editions of Tomb of Dracula, instead my blood-sucking reading came from Dracula Lives which lasted 87 issues from 1974 to 1976. This particular cover was used on #4, but reversed, and it doesn't seem to work quite as well without the original logo or border.

2 comments:

  1. You're not wrong - Drac looks like a proto-Mr Sinister. It's interesting that Marvel UK never used the original title, but rather, the strapline. Mind, it is a better title - shame the logo doesn't work ... the perspective on 'lives' is off, maybe? I need Todd Klein's eyes ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not wrong about the perspective, Mart. Also, its alignment is off - presumably so Drac's head wouldn't obscure the 'L'. Was it you I remember telling me that couldn't walk through the nearby cemetry after reading Dracula Lives?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...